Hurricane season begins June 1 and ends November 30, although the peak of hurricane season is roughly 60 days long from mid-August to mid-October. It is important to have all essentials and plans prepared ahead of time as these storms can be very unpredictable. With SCC Soft Computer being located in Clearwater, Florida, we think it is important for our clients and coworkers to be prepared in case of an emergency.
Here are some tips to get prepared:
- If you have hurricane shutters, ensure you have all pieces intact and they are ready to be used. If you don’t have shutters, make sure to get plywood from a local hardware store (try not to wait until last minute as supplies may run out).
- Ensure all outdoor furniture and other heavy objects are anchored down or placed inside in case of high winds.
- Prepare for flooding by cleaning out drains, gutters, and downspouts. Purchasing sandbags or plastic coverings may be necessary.
- Fill a bathtub with water in case you lose access to running water.
- Write down emergency phone numbers and have them on the fridge, or have them programmed in your phone as it will save time when you need to act fast.
- Locate the nearest shelter and know different evacuation routes.
- Make sure your cars have a full tank of gas and have a couple extra gallons as backup. Also, park cars in a covered area.
- If you’re a pet owner, make sure to identify animal shelters near you, pet-friendly hotels, and even friends/family out of town who will welcome you and your fur babies in case of an evacuation.
- Nonperishable foods: canned chicken/tuna, nuts/seeds, canned fruit, instant soup, cereal, etc.
- Recommended to have 7 days’ worth of supplies stocked
- Drinking water for entire family
- Flashlights, lanterns, etc.
- First aid kit and medicine
- Fire extinguisher
- Important documents; passport, license, medical documents
We hope these tips help you feel more prepared!