Laboratory Information Systems 101
Effective and efficient laboratory operations are essential in today’s fast-paced and ever-changing marketplace. That’s why laboratories and medical facilities around the globe rely on Laboratory Information Systems (LIS) to streamline the management of patient data and test results. In this blog post, we’ll visit the basics of this essential laboratory software and explore how labs use LIS to improve their daily laboratory operations.
What Is a Laboratory Information System?
A Laboratory Information System, often referred to as LIS, is cloud-based software that records, manages, and stores data for clinical laboratories and other medical facilities. The software removes the need for analog data while reducing errors and improving the speed of operations.
With data securely stored in the cloud, all team members will have fast and easy access to critical data, helping to move patients through their processes faster and with highly reliable results.
Basic LIS features include patient management from admission to completion of testing and results delivery, patient data tracking, lab order management, test orders, specimen tracking, quality assurance, workflow management including reports and billing.
How Is LIS Different from LIMS?
While there are similarities between LIS and LIMS (Laboratory Information Management Systems), there are key differences. Specifically, while the primary function of an LIS is to manage individual patient data, the primary function of LIMS is to manage sample data for facilities that handle more complex batches of data. For example, LIMS is often used for clinical trials for new drugs before they hit the marketplace.
LIS Key Features & Benefits
At a high level, the main benefits of an LIS are efficiency, accuracy, and workflow management. SCC’s Laboratory Information Systems Suite offers the following:
- SoftLab®, our LIS solution that provides quantifiable improvements in outcomes, workflow efficiencies, and return on investment.
- Comprehensive multisite integration/consolidation
- Integrated outreach and call list management
- Rules-based system
- Embedded Master Patient Index
- Robotics ready
- Parallel processing
- CORBA application
- Internet enabled
- SoftMic®, which is a powerful microbiology information solution with the most flexible and comprehensive features available on the market today:
- True paperless microbiology solution
- Automated batch resulting
- Infection control notification
- Full spectrum epidemiology reporting
- Definable expert rules
- Scalable multisite functionality
- CORBA, PUSH technology for dynamic screens with real-time data
- Track micro containers individually and qualify them to a worklist based on defined specimen tracking stops
You can get additional details of SCC’s LIS Suite here.
Getting Started With LIS
When choosing an LIS, its essential to consider your lab’s specific needs, your IT architecture, and budget. At SCC, we know this can be a complex process – and our team is here to help simplify it so you can make the best decision. Just complete our online contact form here and a team member will be in touch.